10 Ways to Move Beyond a Weight Loss Plateau
Experts share tips on how to get your weight loss program back on track.
2. Understand Your Weight Loss Personality continued...
Uptight. "If you are highly anxious, you will probably have
more difficulty," Przybeck says. "Those who are anxious, nervous, and
depressed might eat to feel better."
Tenacious. Certain personalities don't find it that difficult losing
weight. "If you are highly self-directed,cooperative, and have a lot of
stick-to-it-ive-ness, you are going to have an easier time," Przybeck
Sociable. Przybeck also found that if you tend to monitor your
food intake better than others, you may be more sociable.
3. Record Every Food Morsel You Eat, Taste, or Lick
Underestimating just how much food you've eaten is a common mistake, one
that can lead to a weight loss plateau or weight gain. Yet keeping a diary of your daily food
intake (every bite, taste, or lick) can help you see where you're going wrong.
Try these food diary tips:
- Track the time of day and your feelings when you eat to discover problem
times and emotions that cause you to binge eat.
- Recognize your eating triggers and find healthier foods to satisfy your hunger or better alternatives than food to cope with
- Monitor your progress, track your new behaviors, and reward yourself with a
manicure or movie for all your hard work.
4. Beware of 'Calorie Creep'
A key reason for a weight loss plateau is eating more than you think. It's
easy for portion sizes to creep up, and before you know it, you end up eating
more than your plan prescribes. That's why it's important to weigh and measure
your food to understand proper portions. Try cutting your daily calorie intake
by 100 or 200 to move beyond the weight loss plateau. Here's how:
- Eat a high-fiber breakfast that will help reduce the quantity of food
eaten at lunch.
- Use mustard or low-fat mayonnaise on your sandwich instead of regular
- Have a piece of fresh fruit instead of cookies or chips.
- Drink diet soda instead of regular soda.
- Choose sherbet or sorbet over super-premium ice cream.
- Use 2 tablespoons of light whipped butter or margarine instead of
- Top your favorite pasta with a red sauce instead of a cream sauce.
- Eat a snack-sized chocolate bar instead of a whole candy bar. And choose
heart-healthy dark chocolate.
- Order your pizza with veggies instead of high-fat meat toppings.
- Order your sandwich on whole-grain bread instead of a croissant or
- Try an open-faced sandwich with only one slice of bread.