Cool Summer Treats That Won't Wreck Your Diet
WebMD gives the lowdown on low-carb, low-fat ice creams and frozen desserts.
Homemade Heat Busters continued...
Jackson and Dorfman recommend stocking the freezer with these
low-cal and healthy homemade treats to take the edge off even the hottest
- Frozen unsweetened fruits: Blueberries, grapes, strawberries, and
raspberries are great by themselves or topped with a little low-fat
- Homemade fruit and cream pops: Fill small, Dixie-style, cups or a
Popsicle mold with a blend of fruit and low-fat vanilla yogurt.
- Banana chips: Slice and freeze bananas, 12 slices to a bag, to enjoy
a cold, creamy treat.
- Chilly chocolate chips: A tablespoon of chocolate chips has about 70
calories and offers a cool, quick chocolate fix.
- Cold S'mores cups: Place a graham cracker, one large marshmallow,
and a few chocolate chips in a small cup and microwave for a few seconds, then
- Diet-friendly floats: Mix a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream with
diet root beer for a root beer float.
- Coffee Coolers: Blend ice with coffee, cocoa, and low-calorie
sweetener to taste for a 15- rather than 500-calorie coffeehouse-style
Experts say that it's important to allot yourself a small, 100-
to 150-calorie treat occasionally when you're trying to lose weight. If you
don't, constantly depriving yourself may come back to haunt you.
"If you deprive yourself, somewhere down the road -- if not
that day later that week -- it's going to blow up and sabotage you," says
Jackson. "So absolutely, chocolate craving, ice cream craving, go for it
but just downsize and enjoy."