Eggs: 8 Healthy Facts
From nutritional benefits to ancient symbolism, we've got eight things we bet you didn't know about eggs.
Ancient cultures, such as the Egyptians, Persians, and Hindus, believed the world began as a large egg, one reason the egg is a symbol of new life.
Individual hens in the United States lay about 250 to 300 eggs per year.
Most Extreme Egg
The heaviest egg, laid by a New Jersey hen in 1956, is reported to have been 1 pound.
White House Easter Egg Roll
The first White House Easter Egg Roll took place in 1878 on President Rutherford B. Hayes’ lawn, after a law was passed forbidding children to play on the Capitol grounds.
Egg Nutrition I
One hard-boiled egg provides 17 grams of protein and only 72 calories.
Egg Nutrition II
The yolk is the major source of the egg’s vitamins and minerals. Egg whites are an excellent source of low-fat protein.
Every year, about 40,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with a diarrheal illness caused by salmonella; undercooked eggs are one source.
Why "Deviled" Eggs?
There’s nothing evil about deviled eggs; “deviled” refers to the spices used in the recipe.
Recipe: Baked Apples With Warm Custard Sauce
Makes 8 servings
4 large apples, halved, seeds and cores removed
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
2 cups low-fat milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place apples cut-side up on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Set aside.
4. To make vanilla custard, whisk together eggs, sugar, and milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
5. Slowly cook custard over low heat until thickened (coating the back of a wooden spoon).
6 Add salt and vanilla. Let cool until warm.
7. Pour warm custard sauce over apples. Garnish with toasted almonds.
Per serving: 228 calories, 8 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (2g saturated fat), 162 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 33 g sugar, 93 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 24%.