Guy's Guide to Grilling
Tips, tricks, and recipes for delicious, heart-healthy meals.
Flank Steak Tacos continued...
3. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at least four hours, but preferably overnight.
1. Heat the grill to medium high. Lightly oil the rack.
2. Grill the flank steak for about 5–7 minutes on each side.
3. Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes to allow the juices to absorb back into the meat before slicing.
4. While the steak is resting, warm the tortillas in a slightly oiled skillet over low heat for about a minute on each side.
5. Thinly slice the steak on the diagonal.
6. Arrange two or three tortillas on each plate. Lay several pieces of steak on each tortilla and top with your choice of chopped onion, cilantro, tomatoes, green peppers, and cheese. Garnish with lime wedges.
275 calories, 12 g fat (3 saturated fat),40 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Calories from fat: 39%.
Grilled Pineapple and Chili Pork Tenderloin
Savory and sweet with ginger and garlic providing a hint of heat, this Asian-accented dish -- loaded with protein and light on fat -- will satisfy dad's deepest meat craving.
¼ cup red pepper, diced small
¼ cup green pepper, diced small
¼ cup red onion, diced small
½ tsp fresh ginger, minced
½ tsp fresh garlic, minced
2 scallions, diced
1 tsp cilantro, minced
½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cumin
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 lb pork tenderloin
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp chili powder
3 cups mesclun greens
1. Peel the pineapple and cut it in half. Set aside one half and dice the other for chutney.
2. Mix all ingredients for chutney, reserve.
3. Lightly coat the tenderloin with olive oil, then season it with salt and pepper. Sprinkle all over with chili powder
4. Slice reserved pineapple into 4 slices.
1. Heat the grill to medium high.
2. Turning the tenderloin every few minutes, grill the pork to an internal temperature of 150°F (approximately 12–15 minutes).