How Does Your Diet Stack Up?
Many of us are short on important nutrients, survey shows
The Super Foods
Some foods can help you kill many birds with a single nutritional stone, so
to speak. Certain foods appear more than once on these lists. In fact, I found
three foods that are on all four:
- Swiss chard
- Raw spinach
- Cooked greens
I also found three foods that are in all but one of the lists:
- Butternut squash
- Tomato sauce/juice
These foods are top sources of two of the four nutrients:
- Almonds, peanuts, pistachios, and hazelnuts (magnesium and vitamin E)
- Soy (tofu and soy nuts are rich in magnesium; green soybeans are tops in
- Clams (vitamins E and A)
- Oysters (vitamin A and magnesium)
- Kale (vitamins A and C)
- Cantaloupe (vitamins A and C)
- Papaya (vitamins C and E)
- Mango (vitamins A and C)
10 Diet-Boosting Tips
Here are some easy tips to help make sure your diet isn't deficient in these
1. Enjoy a handful of nuts almost every day.
2. Use raw spinach instead of lettuce for your salad.
3. Throw some papaya or mango into your smoothie (mango is available
4. Discover some of these less-popular vegetables as side dishes: greens,
Swiss chard, Brussels sprouts, kale, and butternut squash.
5. Add broccoli to everything you can think of (salads, casseroles, pizza,
side dishes) and serve it with a light dip or dressing as an appetizer or
6. Enjoy cantaloupe as a snack, garnish, or part of your breakfast.
7. Drink tomato juice, enjoy some tomato soup, or have an Italian dish
featuring tomato sauce.
8. For a change of pace, find a light entrÃ©e recipe that features clams or
9. Pop some edamame (green soybeans) into the microwave for an easy and
satisfying snack; munch on some soy nuts; and look for recipes that feature
tofu. You can also add shelled green soybeans to all sorts of dishes, like
fried rice, casseroles, pasta salads, etc.
10. Switch to cooking oils that contribute some vitamin E (hazelnut oil,
almond oil, canola oil), and buy the higher omega-3 and vitamin E eggs if
they're available in your area.
Also, try these recipes, which focus on foods that are rich in the nutrients
so many of us are lacking.