How to Get Through the Holidays
Tips for surviving the holidays without sacrificing your weight-loss goals.
Weight specialist Susan Bartlett suggests the following ways to keep your
caloric count in check at a big event:
- Don't arrive hungry; eat something before you go.
- Pass up peanuts, pretzels, chips, and other everyday snacks. Spend your
calories on the special treats you really want.
- Wear a form-fitting outfit, with a belt if possible.
- Make socializing, rather than food, the focus of the event.
- Keep your portions in check — to keep calories under control.
- Plan how much alcohol you'll drink. It loosens your inhibitions and
contributes to calorie consumption.
- Don't stand near the buffet table. In fact, keep your back to it, so you
won't even see it!
- Make a deal with yourself that you will learn something new about someone
you don't know at the party.
- Wear a special piece of jewelry — a sparkly bangle or big ring — as a
visible reminder to yourself to eat in moderation.
- Practice saying "no, thank you." It's okay to turn down invitations or tell
a pushy host you don't want seconds.
Originally published on October 8, 2001
Related content on goodhousekeeping.com