Lose Weight: Eat Breakfast
Studies show making breakfast a daily habit can help you lose weight - and keep it off.
Smart Breakfast Made Simple continued...
His quick breakfast suggestions:
- Banana with peanut butter
- Banana sliced into yogurt
- Oatmeal with fruit -- like apples, blueberries, or peaches
- Small tortilla with a few tablespoons of peanut butter and chopped strawberries. Roll it up, slice it. It works for kids and adults.
- Breakfast smoothies -- berries, ice, and milk or yogurt. "They're portable -- throw some in a cup, and you're out the door," he notes.
As for the much-beloved bagel - sadly, it's the calorie equivalent of five slices of bread, says Stokes. "Just eat half. Better yet, don't bring them into your home. You'll just end up eating the whole thing so it won't go bad."
Best option: "Go for the smaller bagels, the little ones that are like hockey pucks. Spread some almond or cashew butter on it instead of cream cheese. People think cream cheese is a dairy food, but it's not -- it's fat. If you must have cream cheese, buy low-fat. Honestly there is no difference in taste. Add a little bit of jam, some sliced strawberries."
If on-the-run fast food breakfast sandwiches are your downfall, here's how to indulge in a healthy way: whole-grain English muffins, a cooked egg, low-fat cheese melted on top - ham or Canadian bacon optional. "It's portable. You can drive with that," Stokes says. "Sometimes for dinner, I'll have two of those if I don't feel like cooking."
If you love granola, read labels carefully, he advises. "Buy low-fat, and treat it as a condiment, not the main dish. If you treat it like the main, you'll eat too much fat and sugar."