Spring Holiday Strategies
Help your diet survive the season of chocolate bunnies and matzo brei
7. Make better choices. When confronted with the typical holiday
nibbles, know which ones are more likely to fit into your healthy eating plan
(dishes that are lower in fat, higher in fiber, and higher in important
8. BYOD (Bring your own dish). Offer to bring foods to the party or
holiday meal that you know willbe a healthier choice. You can bring lower
fat/lower calorie renditions of favorite holiday foods.
9. Try ingredient substitutions. It's amazing what a difference a few
ingredient substitutions can make. Here are a few examples:
- Use light cream cheese instead of regular in your holiday dips, spreads,
and cheesecakes to trim about 16 grams of fat per cup of cream cheese.
- Use a great tasting fat free sour cream for dips, spreads, and potato
dishes, and cut about 320 calories and 35 grams of fat per cup of sour
- Use reduced fat cheese in your appetizers and side dishes. This will cut 36
grams of fat and 320 calories for every 8 ounces.
- Make your dips, side dishes and appetizers with a mixture of real
mayonnaise and fat-free sour cream (for every cup you need, blend 1/4 cup
mayonnaise with 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream). This will trim more than 1,000
calories and 132 grams of fat per cup of mayonnaise.
- When using eggs in a recipe, try using half real eggs and half an egg
substitute (1/4 cup of egg substitute replaces one egg). Or, use egg whites in
place of some or all of the whole eggs in the recipe (two whites replaces one
For more ideas on making your holiday goodies healthier, check out Smart