Tips on Diet Foods for Summer
Try these fruits of summer for good health - and weight loss.
If you want to lose weight this summer once and for all, forget about diets.
Instead, try these nutritionally rich, low-calories foods each day to help you
slim down this summer. And don't forget to drink plenty of water!
Tomatoes and Peppers
Colorful fruits and vegetables of the vine get their wide range of vivid
colors from health-protecting substances such as lycopene, vitamin C and
vitamin A. Use them generously in dishes to enhance nutrients with very few
1. Choose firm, well-shaped tomatoes that are fragrant and intensely colored,
store at room temperature and enjoy within a few days.
2. Keep canned petite diced tomatoes on hand for a low-calorie and nutritious
addition to salads, pastas, soups, casseroles or dips.
3. Roasted peppers do wonders for any dish or alone as a side dish. Roast them
yourself or buy them already roasted in a jar for added color and
Recipe idea: Oven-dry grape tomatoes by slicing in half and placing
cut side up on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle lightly with
olive oil. Bake at 250 F for two hours. Toss oven-dried tomatoes into pasta,
salads or enjoy as an appetizer with goat cheese.
Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries --
these delicious colorful berries contain a powerhouse of antioxidants that help
prevent cellular damage. They are also an excellent source of fiber and very
low in calories. Eat them by the handful or work more of them into your
1. Get your day started with a healthy dose of fiber and antioxidants. Enjoy
whole-grain cereal, pancakes, or waffles topped with fresh or frozen
2. Skip the decadent dessert and satisfy your sweet tooth with a bowl of fresh
3. Mix fresh berries into a spinach or mixed green salad for a refreshing and
filling first course.
Recipe idea: Toss toasted slivered almonds, sliced strawberries,
sliced scallions, grilled chicken strips, and salad greens with a light
raspberry vinaigrette for a healthy summer supper.
Yogurt and other low-fat dairy products are powerhouses of calcium and
protein. They may also help you lose weight. Research suggests that dairy food,
when part of a reduced-calorie diet, can enhance weight loss while
strengthening bones and keeping you feeling full and satisfied.
1. Substitute low-fat frozen yogurt for premium ice cream for added nutrition
and fewer calories.
2. Whip up a quick batch of smoothies for a nourishing family breakfast or
snack using any fresh or frozen fruit, plain low-fat yogurt, 100% fruit juice,
3. Read the label and find healthy, low-calorie portable yogurt smoothies for
meals on the go.
Recipe idea: Dazzle your friends and family with a beautiful,
low-calorie parfait made by layering fresh fruit, low-fat vanilla yogurt, and
granola for a quick meal, snack or dessert.