Top 10 Heart-Healthy Foods
Help protect your heart with these superfoods.
The best diet for a healthy heart is one that is chock-full of vitamins,
minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber. It should also be low in
saturated fats (mostly from animal sources) and trans fats (those found in many
processed baked goods).
Besides eating a healthy diet, you can keep your risk factors to a minimum
by getting plenty of rest, quitting smoking, keeping alcohol to a minimum, and
getting some stress-reducing exercise each day.
Here are my nominations for the top 10 heart-healthy foods:
1. Berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (red
grapes count, too)
2. Fish that is high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon,
mackerel, and tuna (have it twice a week)
3. Soy foods, such as soybeans, tofu, and soybean oil -- all are good
sources of isoflavones
4. Whole grains, such as breads, cereals, and oatmeal
5. Nuts, such as almonds, pecans, and walnuts
6. Olive oil
7. Beans, such as pintos, garbanzos, lentils, kidney beans, and
8. Other fruits and vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, and
9. Margarines, such as those fortified with stanols or sterols
10. Teas, particularly green and black teas