Top 10 Sources of Fiber
Beyond bran cereal: Many foods are fiber-rich
Fiber helps you lose weight, and here's why. "It fills your belly, it
acts like a sponge, it's slower to be digested and absorbed, so it makes you
feel full," says WebMD Weight Loss Clinic Dietitian Kathleen Zelman, MPH,
RD, LD. "It also provides bulk, which aids elimination, and it helps lower
So where's the fiber?
1. Beans. Think three-bean salad, bean burritos, chili,
2. Whole grains. That means whole-wheat bread, pasta,
3. Brown rice. White rice doesn't offer much fiber.
4. Popcorn. It's a great source of fiber.
5. Nuts. Almonds, pecans, and walnuts have more fiber than
6. Baked potato with skin. It's the skin that's important
7. Berries. All those seeds, plus the skin, give great
fiber to any berry.
8. Bran cereal. Actually, any cereal that has 5 grams of
fiber or more in a serving counts as high fiber.
9. Oatmeal. Whether its microwaved or stove-cooked, oatmeal
is good fiber.
10. Vegetables. The crunchier, the better.