Possible Drug Interactions With Fiber Supplements
When taken at the same time as medications, fiber supplements can affect the absorption of certain drugs:
How to Get the Most From Fiber Supplements
These guidelines can help you avoid side effects and interference with drug and nutrient absorption when you take fiber supplements:
- Check with your doctor before starting a fiber supplement.
- Gradually increase the amount of fiber you take each day.
- Drink plenty of liquids -- about 64 ounces daily – to avoid discomfort.
- Spread fiber intake throughout the day.
- Take fiber supplements separately from medication; take medications at least one hour before fiber supplements or two hours after fiber supplements.