Since dieting doesn't work, what can you do?
If you decide that you do need to make some changes, here are the three steps to reaching a healthy weight:
- Improve your eating habits. Do it slowly. You may be tempted to do a diet overhaul and
change everything about the way you eat. But you will be more successful at
staying with the changes you make if you pick just one eating habit at a time
to work on.
- To find out how to improve your eating habits, see Healthy Eating.
- Get moving. Try to make
physical activity a regular part of your day, just like brushing your teeth.
- To learn how to be more active, see Healthy Activity.
- Change your thinking. Our thoughts have
a lot to do with how we feel and what we do. If you can stop your brain from
telling you discouraging things and have it start encouraging you instead, you
may be surprised at how much healthier you'll be—in mind and body.
- To find out how to change your thinking, see Getting to a Healthy Weight: Lifestyle Changes.
One Woman's Story:
"The biggest key to my success is knowing that this is a process. It's not 'all or nothing at all.' It's a matter of making choices every day. One day I might decide to eat more than another day, and that's okay, as long as I'm paying attention. I finally realized it wasn't a time-limited thing. It became much more of a lifestyle change than a temporary diet. The idea that somehow I could go back to my old ways was just not there anymore."—Maggie