Ease Your Cravings for 150 Calories or Less
It's a given: sooner or later, you're going to want something sweet to eat. The WebMD Weight Loss Clinic staff understands this, so the program allows "light" desserts (at about 150 calories each).
As you'll see below, there are plenty of choices, whether your cravings are for ice cream, cake, cookies, or anything chocolate. But do keep two things in mind as you skip through the dessert aisle of your supermarket:
- Though many fat-free cakes, cookies, or light frozen desserts may be lower in fat and more healthful to eat than their full-fat counterparts, they can still pack plenty of calories. Calories still count. And as the fat is taken out of some of these products, something is added in its place -- namely sugar, or sugar-containing ingredients such as marshmallows, caramel, or fudge swirls.
- Whatever light dessert you choose, it must taste great to you. Otherwise, you'll be tempted to reach for something else (meaning you've spent 150 calories on your light dessert plus the calories for whatever else you end up reaching for). Lower-fat fudge bars, for example, only help you if they really satisfy your chocolate cravings.
Light Dessert Choices
Remember that there are many more choices within each of these categories. These are just a sampling!
Light Fudge Bars
- 1 Smart Ones Giant Fudge Bar = 80 calories, 0 grams fat, 20 grams carbohydrates (15 grams sugar), 4 grams fiber, 55 mg sodium
- 1 Skinny Cow Fat Free Fudge Bar = 100 calories, 0 grams fat, 22 grams carbohydrates (19 grams sugar), 1 gram fiber, 70 mg sodium
- 1 Outshine Fruit Bar (strawberry or lemonade) = 80 calories, 0 grams fat, 21 grams carbohydrates (20 grams sugar), 0 grams fiber, 0 mg sodium
- 2 Dole Fruit Juice Bars (No sugar added) = 60 calories, 0 grams fat, 14 grams carbohydrate (4 grams sugar), 0 grams fiber, 20 mg sodium
Reduced-Fat Ice Cream Bars and Other Frozen Desserts
- 1 Skinny Cow Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwich = 130 calories, 2 grams fat, 23 grams carbohydrate (22 grams sugar), 2 grams fiber, 145 mg sodium
- 1 Smart Ones Giant Sundae Cone = 130 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 29 grams carbohydrate (12 grams sugar), 3 grams fiber, 95 mg sodium
- 1 Smart Ones Vanilla Lowfat Sandwich = 130 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 28 grams carbohydrate (15 grams sugar), 3 grams fiber, 140 mg sodium
- 1 Nestle Crunch Reduced Fat Ice Cream Bar = 150 calories, 8 grams fat, 17 grams carbohydrate (5 grams sugar), 0 gram fiber, 40 mg sodium
- 1 Klondike Reduced Fat and Calorie Slim-A-Bear Bar = 120 calories, 3 grams fat, 25 grams carbohydrate (3 grams sugar), 0 gram fiber, 230 mg sodium
- 1 Smart Ones New York Style Cheesecake = 150 calories, 5 grams fat, 21 grams carbohydrate (18 grams sugar), 1 gram fiber, 140 mg sodium