DASH Diet Ranked Best Overall -- See What's Second
WebMD News Archive
Best Weight-Loss Diets
1. Weight Watchers (3.8 stars) -- The diet plan uses a points system to help people lose weight and keep it off. Weight Watchers beat other diet plans for both short-term and long-term weight loss in experts’ ratings.
2. The Biggest Loser Diet (3.5 stars) -- The diet based on the television show of the same name is built around healthy food and regular exercise. Experts said it required a lot of grunt work and may be hard to maintain for long-term weight loss.
2. Jenny Craig (3.5 stars) -- Experts rated Jenny Craig highly effective as a weight-loss diet, but a few questioned whether dieters can expect to keep the weight off after they are weaned off the diet’s prepackaged, portion-controlled foods.
2. Raw Food Diet (3.5 stars) -- This diet is dominated by plant-based foods never heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Although the raw food diet delivers both short-term and long-term weight loss, experts say such a restrictive, labor-intensive diet isn’t for everyone.
3. Volumetrics (3.4 stars) -- The diet is based on eating foods that are low in calories and high in volume to help people feel full while losing weight. It got high marks for nutrition, but the diet requires lengthy meal preparation.