Strawberry Shortcake continued...
1 1/4 cup unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup Take Control margarine (keep in freezer)*
1/2 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups sliced strawberries
10 dollops of light whipped cream (about 2 cups) or Light Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large food processor bowl, thoroughly combine flours, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, and sugar.
- Add margarine in pieces and briefly pulse just until mixture is coarse and crumbly.
- Add the fat free half-and-half and briefly pulse just until blended (do not overmix).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 4 or so times.
- Pat dough until about 1/3- to 1/2-inch thick. Using a 2 1/2- to 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits and place them on a baking sheet coated with canola cooking spray.
- Bake until nicely brown, about 12-14 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, add 2 cups sliced strawberries, brown sugar, and vanilla to food processor and pulse until a strawberry puree is created (about 5 seconds).
- Split a biscuit in half and place both halves, cut side up, on a dessert plate. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon of the strawberry puree mixture over the top of each half. Top both halves with a total of 1/2 cup of strawberry slices and a dollop of light whipping cream or Light Cool Whip.
* Take Control is the best-tasting of the margarines with plant stanol or sterol esters added (daily intakes of 1.3 grams or more have been shown in studies to help reduce the risk of heart disease as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol). Another margarine with no or low trans fats and 8 grams of fat per tablespoon can be substituted in this recipe.
Makes 10 large biscuits.
Per serving: 275 calories, 5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat, 5.9 g monounsaturated fat, 2.2 g polyunsaturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 390 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42%.