Try these fruits of summer for good health - and weight loss.
If you want to lose weight this summer once and for all, forget about diets. Instead, try these nutritionally rich, low-calories foods each day to help you slim down this summer. And don't forget to drink plenty of water!
Tomatoes and Peppers
Colorful fruits and vegetables of the vine get their wide range of vivid colors from health-protecting substances such as lycopene, vitamin C and vitamin A. Use them generously in dishes to enhance nutrients with very few calories.
1. Choose firm, well-shaped tomatoes that are fragrant and intensely colored,
store at room temperature and enjoy within a few days.
2. Keep canned petite diced tomatoes on hand for a low-calorie and nutritious addition to salads, pastas, soups, casseroles or dips.
3. Roasted peppers do wonders for any dish or alone as a side dish. Roast them yourself or buy them already roasted in a jar for added color and nourishment.
Recipe idea: Oven-dry grape tomatoes by slicing in half and placing cut side up on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Bake at 250 F for two hours. Toss oven-dried tomatoes into pasta, salads or enjoy as an appetizer with goat cheese.
Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries, blackberries -- these delicious colorful berries contain a powerhouse of antioxidants that help prevent cellular damage. They are also an excellent source of fiber and very low in calories. Eat them by the handful or work more of them into your diet.
1. Get your day started with a healthy dose of fiber and antioxidants. Enjoy
whole-grain cereal, pancakes, or waffles topped with fresh or frozen
2. Skip the decadent dessert and satisfy your sweet tooth with a bowl of fresh mixed berries.
3. Mix fresh berries into a spinach or mixed green salad for a refreshing and filling first course.
Recipe idea: Toss toasted slivered almonds, sliced strawberries, sliced scallions, grilled chicken strips, and salad greens with a light raspberry vinaigrette for a healthy summer supper.
Yogurt and other low-fat dairy products are powerhouses of calcium and protein. They may also help you lose weight. Research suggests that dairy food, when part of a reduced-calorie diet, can enhance weight loss while strengthening bones and keeping you feeling full and satisfied.