Questions for Your Doctor About Weight Loss Surgery
When you're thinking about having weight loss surgery, you want to get as much information as possible about what to expect. Start by asking your doctor these questions.
- Am I a good candidate for weight loss surgery?
- Which type of weight loss surgery do you recommend for me?
- How will the surgery help me lose weight?
- What are the risks of this surgery?
- How could the surgery affect other health problems I have?
- How long will I be in the hospital, and off work recovering?
- Continue reading below...
- What type of follow-up care will I need?
- How much food will I be able to eat afterward?
- Are there certain foods I won't be able to eat?
- Will I need vitamins after my surgery, and if so, what types?
- When can I start exercising after surgery?
- How likely is it that I’ll regain weight after surgery?
- Will I need to have plastic surgery later to remove sagging skin?
- How many weight loss surgeries do you do each year?
- How are your patients doing now?
- How common is it for your patients to have complications? What side effects are most common?
- Will my health insurance cover the surgery? If not, what costs will I have to pay?