The Top 10 "Trans Fat" Foods: continued...
Tip: Order your meat broiled or baked. Skip the pie. Forget the biscuit. Skip the fries -- or share them with many friends.
5. Frozen Food. Those yummy frozen pies, pot pies, waffles, pizzas, even breaded fish sticks contain trans fat. Even if the label says it's low-fat, it still has trans fat.
- Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie has 4 grams trans fat in every delicious slice.
- Swanson Potato Topped Chicken Pot Pie has 1 gram trans fat.
- Banquet Chicken Pot Pie has no trans fat.
Tip: In frozen foods, baked is always heart-healthier than breaded. Even vegetable pizzas aren't flawless; they likely have trans fat in the dough. Pot pies are often loaded with too much saturated fat, even if they have no trans fat, so forget about it.
6. Baked Goods. Even worse news -- more trans fats are used in commercially baked products than any other foods. Doughnuts contain shortening in the dough and are cooked in trans fat.
Cookies and cakes (with shortening-based frostings) from supermarket bakeries have plenty of trans fat. Some higher-quality baked goods use butter instead of margarine, so they contain less trans fat, but more saturated fat.
- Donuts have about 5 grams of trans fat apiece, and nearly 5 grams of saturated fat.
- Cream-filled cookies have 1.9 grams of trans fat, and 1.2 grams of saturated fat.
- Pound cake has 4.3 grams of trans fat per slice, and 3.4 grams of saturated fat.
Tip: Get back to old-fashioned home cooking again. If you bake, use fat-substitute baking products, or just cut back on the bad ingredients, says Moore. Don't use the two sticks of butter or margarine the recipe calls for two. Try using one stick and a fat-free baking product.
7. Chips and Crackers. Shortening provides crispy texture. Even "reduced fat" brands can still have trans fat. Anything fried (like potato chips and corn chips) or buttery crackers have trans fat.
- A small bag of potato chips has 3.2 grams of trans fat.
- Nabisco Original Wheat Thins Baked Crackers have 2 grams in a 16-cracker serving.
- Sunshine Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers have 1.5 grams per 27 crackers.