Diarrhea, Age 12 and Older - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- How long have you had diarrhea?
many times per day are you having diarrhea?
- What does your diarrhea
look like? Describe the color, consistency (watery, mushy), and other
characteristics (contains blood or mucus).
- When was your last
episode of diarrhea?
- Have you recently increased the amount of
fiber in your diet (more fresh fruit, vegetables, or other high-fiber
- What prescription and nonprescription medicines do you
- Are you taking any new
- Did you recently increase the dose of a
- Have you taken any antibiotics recently?
you recently receive an antibiotic while in the hospital?
- Do you routinely use laxatives or stool
- Have you been under an unusual amount of stress at home,
work, or both?
- Does anyone you live with or work with have
- Did your diarrhea start after eating at a restaurant? Has
anyone who ate there with you become ill?
- Did you drink lake or
stream water or untreated well water?
- Have you recently visited a
foreign country or taken a ship cruise?
- Do you have any risk
factors that make you more susceptible to diarrhea, such as irritable bowel
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Be sure to
include any nonprescription medicines you have taken.
- Do you have
other symptoms, such as vomiting, fever, or dehydration?
- Do you
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
October 18, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Diarrhea, Age 12 and Older Topics