Gallstone Symptoms: When Surgery Is Needed - Topic Overview
Several conditions or situations may require surgery to remove the
gallbladder. Surgery usually is needed when:
- Your gallbladder suddenly becomes inflamed or
cause repeated attacks of pain.
- You have growths called polyps in
the gallbladder, usually larger than
0.4 in. (1 cm), that are
- Gallstones cause inflammation of the pancreas
- A nonfunctioning
gallbladder is causing symptoms.
- The gallbladder wall has calcified
- You have gallstones and an
impaired immune system.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
July 10, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Gallstone Symptoms: When Surgery Is Needed Topics