Understanding Diverticulitis -- Symptoms
What Are the Symptoms of Diverticulitis?
The symptoms of diverticulitis are:
- Severe abdominal pain and cramping that is usually worse on the left side and increases when the area is touched
- Chills or fever
- Constipation, thin stools, or diarrhea
- Rectal bleeding (rare)
Call Your Doctor About Diverticulitis If:
- You have a fever, chills, abdominal swelling, or are vomiting.
- You have blood in your stool.
- You have a fever.
- Your abdomen becomes rigid and you experience pain when you move; you could have peritonitis, an infection of the membrane that lines the abdominal cavity. Get medical help immediately.
If you continue to have severe pain, despite treatment, you may have another abdominal disorder. Seek care from your doctor.