This medication is used to treat lead poisoning. It works by binding to the lead so that it may be removed by your kidneys. Removing lead from your body will lower the chance of severe problems caused by lead poisoning.
Take this medication by mouth with or without food, usually every 8 or 12 hours, or as directed by your doctor. Swallow the capsules whole. If you have trouble swallowing the capsule, you may open the capsule and sprinkle the contents on soft food (such as applesauce). Swallow all of the drug/food mixture right away without chewing. You may also place the contents on a spoon and swallow with fruit juice.
Dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and body size.
Drink plenty of fluids while taking this medication unless your doctor directs you otherwise.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same times each day.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat).
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before taking succimer, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
This medication may interfere with certain laboratory tests (including uric acid levels, CPK levels, certain urine ketone tests), possibly causing false test results. Make sure laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you use this drug.
Keep a list of all the products you use. Share the list with your doctor and pharmacist to reduce your risk for serious medication problems.
If someone has overdosed and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing, call 911. Otherwise, call a poison control center right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
It is important to remove the source of lead exposure. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for details on identifying and avoiding sources of lead exposure.
Laboratory and/or medical tests (such as complete blood count, blood lead levels, liver function tests) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-77 degrees F (15-25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised July 2016. Copyright(c) 2016 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet