This medication is used for the short-term treatment of heart failure. It works by making your heart beat stronger and by relaxing certain blood vessels so that the amount of blood that is pumped from the heart is increased. This effect may help with symptoms of heart failure (such as shortness of breath, tiredness).
This medication is given by injection into a vein as directed by your doctor. It is usually first given as a slow injection (over 10 minutes) and then given as a continuous infusion thereafter.
If you are giving this medication to yourself at home, learn all preparation and usage instructions from your health care professional. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Learn how to store and discard medical supplies safely.
Dosage is based on your medical condition, weight, and response to treatment.
Headaches may occur. If this effect persists or worsens, tell your doctor promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using milrinone, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it, or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: heart valve disease, kidney disease, mineral imbalance (low level of potassium in the blood), irregular heartbeat (such as atrial fibrillation).
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
Check the labels on all your medicines (such as cough-and-cold products, diet aids, or NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen) because they may contain ingredients that could worsen your heart failure. Ask your pharmacist for more details.
If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: severe dizziness, fainting.
Laboratory and/or medical tests (such as blood pressure, heart rate/rhythm, kidney function, blood mineral levels) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
This drug is to be given continuously as an infusion. If your infusion is interrupted, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Consult the product instructions and your pharmacist for storage details. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised November 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet