This product is used to replace fluids and minerals (such as sodium, potassium) lost due to diarrhea and vomiting. It helps prevent or treat the loss of too much body water (dehydration). Having the right amount of fluids and minerals is important for the normal functioning of the body.
Take this product by mouth as directed by your doctor, or follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Some brands of the liquid form should be mixed before using, while others should not be mixed. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about your specific brand. If your liquid form is a suspension, shake the bottle well before each dose.
If you are using the powdered form, mix the contents of the packet in water as directed on the product package. Stir well until the powder dissolves completely.
Do not heat this product unless the product package states that it is okay to do so.
Dosage is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
Do not drink fruit juices or eat foods with added salt while taking this product unless directed by your doctor.
Tell your doctor if your condition worsens, if it persists for more than 24 hours, or if you also have severe stomach/abdominal pain, blood in the stool/vomit, a fever, or signs of dehydration (such as dizziness, decreased urination, severe thirst, very dry mouth, seizures). If you think you may have a serious medical problem, get medical help right away.
Mild nausea and vomiting may occur. These effects can be decreased by taking this product slowly in small amounts with a spoon. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before taking this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product: inability to keep fluids in the stomach (such as due to severe/persistent vomiting), difficulty urinating, intestinal blockage.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication.
Some products that may interact with this drug include: mineral supplements (such as potassium).
If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Keep all regular medical and laboratory appointments.
As your condition improves, you can start eating soft, bland foods such as rice, bananas, toast, boiled potatoes, or other foods recommended by your doctor.
Refer to storage information printed on the package. If you have any questions about storage, ask your pharmacist. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Information last revised March 2015. Copyright(c) 2015 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet