A very serious allergic reaction can occur with this medication. If you develop an allergic reaction to this medication, you should not take it again. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details. See also Side Effects section.Who should not take oprelvekin subcutaneous?
This medication is used to prevent very low platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) and to reduce the need for platelet transfusions after certain chemotherapy treatments. Platelets help your blood clot when you are cut or injured. Having too few platelets can cause you to bruise easier and/or bleed longer when you get cut or injured. This medication causes your body to make more platelets.
Read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start using oprelvekin and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Learn all preparation and usage instructions in the Patient Information Leaflet. If any of the information is unclear, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
After mixing the medication, swirl it gently to combine. Do not shake the medication. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid.
Before injecting each dose, clean the injection site with rubbing alcohol. It is important to change the location of the injection site daily to avoid problem areas under the skin.
Dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition and response to treatment. It is not recommended to use this medication longer than 21 days for each treatment course.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time each day.
Use this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take this medication more often or longer than prescribed. Your condition will not improve any faster, and the risk of serious side effects may be increased.
The mixed medication or the sterile water for injection that comes with the medication should only be used once. Throw away any unused portion. Learn how to store and throw away needles and medical supplies safely. Consult your pharmacist.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fever, flushing, headache, severe weakness, sudden/unexplained weight gain, swelling of the hands/ankles/feet, shortness of breath, muscle/bone pain, fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat, white patches in the mouth, unusual tiredness, change in the amount of urine, vision changes (e.g., blurred vision, loss of vision).
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing/swallowing/talking.
In the US -
Before using oprelvekin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease, heart/blood vessel disease (e.g., congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat, stroke), unusual fluid retention (e.g., swelling of the ankles/feet, ascites, pleural effusion), eye problems (e.g., papilledema), brain/spinal cord tumors, high blood pressure (hypertension).
This drug may make you dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Limit alcoholic beverages.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: drugs that can decrease your potassium levels (e.g., "water pills"/diuretics such as furosemide/hydrochlorothiazide), drugs that can cause fluid retention (e.g., corticosteroids such as prednisone).
This product can affect the results of certain laboratory tests (including calcium/albumin levels), possibly causing false test results. Make sure laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you use this drug.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: fast/irregular heartbeat, trouble breathing.
Do not share this medication with others.
Laboratory and/or medical tests (e.g., hemoglobin/hematocrit levels, complete blood count, electrolyte levels) should be performed periodically to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Consult your doctor for more details.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store the vial of powder and sterile water for injection in the refrigerator between 36-46 degrees F (2-8 degrees C) away from light. Do not freeze. The mixed medication should be used within 3 hours and can be stored in the vial, either in the refrigerator at 36-46 degrees F (2-8 degrees C) or at room temperature up to 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Do not store the medication in a syringe. Throw away any unused portion. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet