Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years. Keep this product out of the reach of children. If overdose does occur, seek immediate medical attention or call a poison control center.Who should not take ADC-Fluoride-Iron?
This medication is a combination product of vitamins, iron, and fluoride. It is used in infants and children to treat or prevent deficiency due to poor diet or low levels of fluoride in drinking water and other sources. Vitamins are important building blocks of the body and help keep you in good health. Iron is an important mineral that the body needs to make red blood cells. Fluoride is used to prevent dental cavities.
Take this medication by mouth, usually once daily or as directed by the doctor.
If your liquid is a suspension, shake the bottle well before each dose. Some brands of this medication should also be shaken well before each dose. Check your manufacturer's bottle for specific directions. Use a medication-measuring device to carefully measure the prescribed dose. Do not use a household spoon. The dose may be swallowed directly, added to a small amount of liquid, or mixed with a small amount of food, such as applesauce.
The fluoride in this liquid product can be absorbed directly into the teeth as you swallow it, as well as being absorbed into your body from your stomach. Therefore, it is best not to eat, drink, or rinse your mouth for 30 minutes after taking this product.
This product is best taken at least 2 hours before or after taking any products containing calcium (including dairy foods such as milk/yogurt) or aluminum/magnesium (e.g., certain antacids/laxatives), since these may decrease its effectiveness.
This product should be taken regularly in order to get the most benefit form it. Do not take more than prescribed. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
The iron in this product may cause the stools to turn black, which is not harmful.
If your teeth become mottled or stained, tell the dentist or doctor. This may be a result of too much fluoride.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before taking multivitamins and iron with fluoride, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any of the ingredients; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication.
See also How To Use section.
Your healthcare professionals (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
This product can decrease the absorption of other drugs such as bisphosphonates (for example, alendronate), levodopa, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (for example, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), thyroid medications (for example, levothyroxine), and tetracycline antibiotics (for example, doxycycline, minocycline). Therefore, separate your doses of these medications as far as possible from your doses of this product. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about how long you should wait between doses and for help finding a dosing schedule that will work with all your medications.
This product may affect the results of certain lab tests. Make sure laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you use this medication.
If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, green diarrhea, tarry stools, increased saliva, drowsiness, seizures.
This product is not a substitute for a proper diet. Remember that it is best to get your vitamins from healthy foods. It is important to maintain a well-balanced diet.
Check the fluoride content of your water supply by asking local town or city officials. Fluoride supplements are not necessary if the fluoride content in the water supply is greater than 0.6 parts per million. If your water supply changes, check with your doctor or dentist to determine if extra fluoride is still necessary.
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store in original container at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Information last revised September 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet