This medication is used to treat skin infections. This product contains neomycin, bacitracin, and polymyxin, antibiotics that work by stopping the growth of bacteria. It also contains hydrocortisone, an anti-inflammatory corticosteroid that works by reducing swelling and itching.
This medication treats only bacterial skin infections. It will not work for other types of skin infections (e.g., infections caused by fungi, viruses). Unnecessary use or misuse of any antibiotic can lead to its decreased effectiveness.
This medication is for use on the skin only. Wash your hands before using. Clean and dry the affected area as directed. Then apply a small amount of medication in a thin layer on the skin and rub in gently, usually 2 to 4 times a day or as directed by your doctor. Wash your hands after use, unless you are using this product to treat the hands.
Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the treated area unless you are instructed to do so by your doctor. If you are using this medication on a child's diaper area, do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
Do not use large amounts of this medication or apply this more often or for a longer period than directed. Your condition will not clear faster, but the risk of side effects may be increased. This product is not recommended for use over a wide area of the body. Do not use this product for longer than 1 week unless directed by your doctor.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same times each day.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve after 1 week.
Burning, redness, irritation, or dryness of the skin may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Rarely, use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in other types of skin infections (e.g., fungal or other bacterial infections). Contact your doctor if you notice any unusual skin symptoms or if your condition does not improve.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to neomycin, bacitracin, polymyxin, or hydrocortisone; or to aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g., gentamicin, tobramycin); or to other corticosteroids (e.g., dexamethasone, prednisone); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This medication should not be used to treat an infection in the outer ear canal if the eardrum is torn (perforated).
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: poor blood circulation, a weakened immune system.
Children may be more sensitive to the effects of too much corticosteroid medication. Consult your doctor for more details.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: aminoglycoside antibiotics (e.g., amikacin, gentamicin, tobramycin), corticosteroids taken by mouth (e.g., prednisone).
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: hearing problems, change in the amount of urine.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Do not use it later for another infection unless told to do so by your doctor. A different medication may be necessary in that case.
If you miss a dose, apply the medication as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature between 59-86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) away from heat with the cap tightly closed. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet