Use this medication only on the skin. Clean and dry the affected area first. Then apply a small amount of ointment to the area 3 times a day, or as directed by your doctor. You may cover the treated area with a bandage.
Use this medication regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. Continue to use it for the full amount of time prescribed. Stopping the medication too early may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may result in a relapse of the infection.
Avoid using this medication around your eyes, nose, mouth, or on large areas of damaged or broken skin unless otherwise directed by your doctor. If you accidentally get medication in your eyes, nose, or mouth, rinse well with plenty of water.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve in 3-5 days.
This medication may cause burning, stinging, itching or pain at first as your body adjusts to it. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A small amount of this medication may be absorbed into your bloodstream and may rarely cause a severe intestinal condition (Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea) due to a resistant bacteria. This condition may occur while receiving treatment or even weeks to months after treatment has stopped. Do not use anti-diarrhea products or narcotic pain medications if you have the following symptoms because these products may make them worse. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop persistent diarrhea, abdominal or stomach pain/cramping, or blood/mucus in your stool.
Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a new infection (e.g., fungal infection). Contact your doctor if you notice signs of a new infection.
In the US -
Before using mupirocin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as polyethylene glycol found in some brands), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease (if you are using a brand of mupirocin that contains polyethylene glycol).
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
A product that may interact with this drug is: chloramphenicol.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
This medication has been prescribed for your current condition only. Do not use it later for another infection unless told to do so by your doctor. A different medication may be necessary in those cases.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised May 2014. Copyright(c) 2014 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet