Wet hands with water and apply a small amount (about 1 teaspoon or 5 milliliters) on the palm of the hand. Work into a lather with water and wash the affected area with the lather as directed by your doctor. Immediately rinse the area well after washing, especially if washing genital or anal areas.
This medication should be used on normal skin only. Do not use on red/broken/cut/irritated/scraped/burned skin. Be careful to avoid your eyes. If contact occurs, flush the eyes well with cool water. Do not use on mucous membranes (inside nose/mouth/vagina/anus/rectum). This cleanser should not be used regularly to wash the entire body, especially in infants and children.
Do not leave the medication on the skin. Do not cover the area with plastic or waterproof bandages.
For best results, use as directed. Do not use large amounts, use more often, or keep using it for a longer time than directed. Overuse of this product can allow the medication to be absorbed into the body, possibly causing serious side effects.
Skin reactions including redness, dryness, and scaling may occur. Long/hard rubbing or exposure to heat or cold may worsen these effects. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, extreme sleepiness), skin infection (e.g., warm/red/itchy skin, swelling, pus), stiff muscles, muscle spasms, difficulty moving/walking, seizures.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Before using hexachlorophene, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other halogenated phenols (e.g., chlorocresol, trichlorophenol); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as lanolin), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This medication may make you more sensitive to the sun. Avoid prolonged sun exposure, tanning booths, and sunlamps. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when outdoors.
Caution is advised when using this drug in infants and children because they may be more sensitive to the effects of the drug, especially seizures. It should not be used regularly for bathing infants.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk and could have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Therefore, breast-feeding is not recommended while using this drug. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: skin products that contain alcohol.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose/swallowing may include: loss of appetite, vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and seizures.
Do not share this medication with others.
This product may stain porous surfaces and discolor/harm metal surfaces (e.g., stainless steel).
If you miss an application, use it as soon as you remember. Do not use more of this product to catch up.
Store at room temperature at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light. Keep all medicines away from children and pets. Hexachlorophene is very harmful if swallowed, especially to infants and children. Store in original container to prevent accidental swallowing. Do not pour into other containers (e.g., measuring cups, medicine bottles) that may be mistaken for food or other medication.
Hexachlorophene may turn brown when exposed to light for a long time. This does not affect how well it will work. Shake the container well to improve the color.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet