This medication is used to relieve pain from mouth sores and swelling due to various causes including chemotherapy, radiation treatment, dental surgery/devices, and disease. Reducing pain helps you to eat and drink more comfortably. This medication works by forming a protective coating over the inside of the mouth to cover the irritation. It also keeps the mouth moist which promotes healing.
Open the packet and pour the gel into a glass. Add 1 tablespoonful (15 milliliters) of water and stir the mixture well. If the liquid is too thick, you may add 1-2 tablespoonfuls (15-30 milliliters) more water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with the liquid for at least 1 minute or as long as possible, then gargle and spit out.
Use this medication usually 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after use. This medication may be used without mixing with water if necessary.
Inform your doctor if your condition does not improve after 7 days of treatment.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.
In Canada - Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to Health Canada at 1-866-234-2345.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication.
Your healthcare professionals (e.g., doctor or pharmacist) may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
If overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room right away. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Do not refrigerate. Do not use any packets that are torn or damaged. Over time, the gel may become a little thicker or darker in color. However, you may still use it as long as the expiration date has not been reached. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
Information last revised October 2015. Copyright(c) 2015 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet