This medication is used to treat certain scalp conditions (dandruff, seborrhea). These scalp problems can sometimes be worsened by bacteria on the skin. This medication works by stopping the growth of certain skin bacteria. Sodium sulfacetamide belongs to a class of drugs known as sulfa antibiotics.
Do not use this medication in children under 2 months old.
This medication is for use on the hair and scalp only. Shake the bottle well before using.
Wet hair and scalp with water. Apply this product to wet hair and massage it over your entire scalp until it forms a lather. Rinse the medication off completely. Use this medication usually at least 2 times a week or as directed by your doctor.
How often you use this medication is based on your medical condition and response to treatment.
Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. Do not use large amounts of this medication, use it more often, or use it for a longer time than prescribed. Your condition will not improve any faster, and your risk of side effects may be increased.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve after a few weeks. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor immediately if your condition worsens, or if you develop a rash or other serious side effects. See Side Effects section.
Although uncommon, irritation of the skin or scalp may occur. If this effect persists or worsens, stop using this medication and tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Using this medication for prolonged periods may result in a fungal skin infection. Contact your doctor if you notice new or worsening skin/scalp symptoms.
Rarely, sodium sulfacetamide products applied to the skin may be absorbed and may cause serious side effects. Stop using this product and tell your doctor immediately if any of these rare but serious side effects occur: aching/swollen joints, rash on nose and cheeks, signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat), signs of anemia (such as unusual tiredness/weakness, rapid breathing, fast heartbeat), unusual bleeding/bruising, signs of liver problems (such as dark urine, yellowing eyes/skin, stomach/abdominal pain, persistent nausea, vomiting), mouth sores.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using sodium sulfacetamide shampoo, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to sulfa antibiotics (such as sulfamethoxazole); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
Tell your doctor if there are areas of skin near where this product will be applied that are cut, scraped, burned, or infected. Injured skin may absorb more of this product, and the chance of serious side effects may increase.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.
Some products that may interact with this drug include: skin products containing silver.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center. Symptoms of overdose may include: nausea, vomiting, pink/bloody urine, change in the amount of urine.
Do not share this medication with others.
This product may temporarily stain clothing. The stain will usually wash out with normal cleaning.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature. Avoid freezing and high heat. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
This medication may darken slightly over time. This slight darkening does not change the effectiveness or safety of the medication.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet