This medication is used to treat dandruff and other skin conditions (such as seborrheic dermatitis). It is also used to treat certain bacterial skin infections associated with these conditions.
This medication is for use on the skin only. Avoid getting any of this medication in the eyes, nose, or mouth.
The directions for use of this product vary depending on the brand that you are prescribed. Apply a thin layer to the affected area, generally twice daily for 8 to 10 days or as directed by your doctor. As your condition improves, your doctor may direct you to continue treatment less frequently to keep it under control (once/twice weekly or every other week). If your condition does not improve or worsens, contact your doctor promptly for further instructions.
Irritation, stinging, and burning of the skin may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including: severe redness/scaling of the skin, muscle/joint aches.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), dizziness, unusual tiredness, yellowing of the skin or eyes, stomach pain, nausea, persistent fever, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other sulfa drugs such as sulfamethoxazole; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients (such as sulfites), which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: asthma.
Use of this medication for prolonged or repeated periods may result in a secondary infection (such as affecting the skin). Consult your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Some products that may interact with this drug include: preparations containing silver.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Information last revised August 2014. Copyright(c) 2014 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet