Hydrogen peroxide rinse is a mild antiseptic used in the mouth to help relieve minor mouth irritation (e.g., due to canker/cold sores, gingivitis, dentures, orthodontic appliances). It works by releasing oxygen when it is applied to the affected area. The release of oxygen causes foaming, which helps to remove mucus and clean the area.
Follow all directions on the product package. If you are uncertain about any of the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
If you are using the liquid form, some brands need to be mixed with water before using. Others are ready to use. Follow the directions for your brand. Carefully measure the dose using the cap provided by the manufacturer or a special measuring device. Swish in the mouth over the affected area for at least 1 minute, then spit out. Do not swallow this product.
If you are using the gel form, apply several drops to the affected area of the mouth. Some liquid forms may also be applied directly to the affected area. Allow to remain in place for at least 1 minute, then spit out. Do not swallow this product.
Use up to 4 times daily or as directed by your dentist or doctor.
Use this product regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time(s) each day.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve in 7 days or if it worsens. If you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.
Redness, stinging, or irritation at the application site may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
If your doctor has directed you to use this product, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this product do not have serious side effects.
A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
In the US -
Before using hydrogen peroxide, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
This product is safe to use during pregnancy.
If you are using this product under your doctor's direction, your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This product may be harmful if more than the amount used to rinse is swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Keep all regular medical and laboratory appointments.
If you are using this product on a regular schedule and miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Refer to storage information printed on the package. If you have any questions about storage, ask your pharmacist. Keep all drug products away from children and pets.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
Sorry. No images are available for this medication.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet