This product is used to help the healing of burns and skin ulcers. Collagenase is an enzyme. It works by helping to break up and remove dead skin and tissue. This effect may also help antibiotics to work better and speed up your body's natural healing process.
This medication is for use on the skin only. It is usually applied once daily or as directed by your doctor. If the dressing becomes soiled, collagenase may be applied more frequently.
To apply, wash hands first. Clean the area as directed by your doctor. Cleaning solutions such as hydrogen peroxide, normal saline, or Dakin's solution may be used. If your doctor has directed you to use an antibiotic powder, apply it first before applying this medication. Use a wooden spatula or a gauze pad to carefully apply the collagenase ointment directly to the affected area. Bandage securely. If you are unclear about how to clean the affected area or apply this medication, consult your doctor.
Avoid applying near the eyes. Be careful to apply the ointment only within the affected area. Wash hands thoroughly after applying the ointment.
Pain or a burning feeling at the affected area may occur. Temporary redness/irritation may also occur in the skin around the affected area. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. To avoid redness/irritation in the surrounding skin, be careful to apply the ointment only within the affected area.
Treatment of burns and skin ulcers by breaking up and removing dead skin and tissue may infrequently increase the risk for serious infection (sepsis). Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any symptoms of serious infection, including: fever/chills, fast breathing (hyperventilation), fast heartbeat, warm skin, weakness.
A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
In the US -
Before using collagenase, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
Avoid using solutions that contain acid or metal as soaking liquids because these will decrease the effect of collagenase ointment (see also Drug Interactions section).
It is not known whether this medication passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription/herbal products you may use, especially of: antiseptic skin products (especially those containing heavy metals such as lead, mercury, silver).
Skin products containing heavy metals may decrease the effect of collagenase. If the affected area has been exposed to one of these products, wash the area well with normal saline solution before applying this ointment.
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
This medicine may be harmful if swallowed. If swallowing or overdose is suspected, contact a poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call their local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. Canada residents can call a provincial poison control center.
Do not share this medication with others.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Store at room temperature at or below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
Information last revised March 2013. Copyright(c) 2013 First Databank, Inc.
With WebMD's Medicine Cabinet, you can check interactions with drugs.Go to medicine cabinet