Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Depo-Provera IM.

2/6/2008 1:42:14 PM

Reviewer: loulou, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
i've been on this shot now for 5 years,and recently i have decided not to take it anymore! it caused alot of kidney infections for me! i do not reccomened this to anyone!

1/26/2008 4:40:34 AM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
After having my first child at the age of 20,I started recieving the Depo, 2 years later my husband and I decided to have another child it took a year and a half to get pregnant, then once again after my second child I went back to the Depo. It was easy and I loved not having a period. My youngest child is now 7 yrs old and in the last year I have gained 30 pounds and can't seem to loose any o ... Show Full Comment

1/25/2008 11:49:43 PM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I took the shot once, and after the three months I had my period/cramps for a whole month, gained 10 lbs, and got huge zits. I didn't get pregnant though, but my symptoms made me worry that I was since I have never been irregular before the shot. Weight gain+zits+constant worry=not recommended, not to mention all the bone density depletion.....isn't BD already a problem in women, why wou ... Show Full Comment

12/17/2007 2:32:37 PM

Reviewer: Nettie, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10 years or more (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on Depo for over ten years. I just had a BMD test and I am borderline Osteopenia. Hopefully we can stop osteoporosis before it develops. Please read your leaflets and stay on top of your medical care.

12/1/2007 3:49:15 PM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
Although an incredibly effective birthcontrol, it definitely poses some long term health risks. Request a bone density screening if you started taking this drug in your teens- even if your doctor doesn't think it's necessary.

How to keep flares at bay.
spinal compression fracture