Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Valtrex oral.

7/16/2011 7:57:09 PM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I just started taking valacyclovir 500 mg once a day. It works well even though I rarely had breaks out before the meds. Im not sure how long I've had HSV2. The only thing I hate is the stomach pains.

6/2/2011 12:43:25 AM

Reviewer: HerpesFish, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
My first treatment was Valtrex of 1000mg, twice a day for 10 days. Subsequent outbreaks were treated with 500mg of Valtrex for 5 days. This treatment has worked well. Interesting, I posted this story to SingleHerpes.com and got a free month.

2/14/2011 11:52:26 AM

Reviewer: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5 to less than 10 years (Patient)

Comment:
I'm 65 and have known I had it for the past 7 years. Prior to that I had no symptoms and my husband does not have it. Not sure where I contracted it but probably a prior marriage years ago. It works great. I take it 2 or 3 times a week for maintenance and as long as I do I have no outbreaks. The only side effect I have is occasional night sweats. My doctor said if I take it daily, to sta ... Show Full Comment

1/10/2011 8:50:48 AM

Reviewer: Lost Libido, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I took Valtrex for 5 years although my break outs probably only occured several times a year during stressful periods. During that time period my Libido dramatically decreased and I blamed every other medicine I was on. The doctor's never mentioned Valtrex could have this side effect. I decided to stop taking Valtrex and treat symptoms as they arise and within 6 months I noticed a dractic diff ... Show Full Comment

11/9/2010 8:35:38 PM

Reviewer: Abbie, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
Helpful tip for people with insurance. My co-pay is the same($30) whether I get 30 pills or 10 pills. I didnt realize this at first. My doctor wrote my Rx for 30 pills, refillable each month. Also, I asked her to write it for 1000mg and I break them in half. I only take 500mg daily, so this cuts my costs a lot. Even if you only take it when you need it, you can do both of these and save a lot of m ... Show Full Comment