Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Venofer intravenous.

3/5/2015 4:34:21 AM

Reviewer: arkinesesbk, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
    I tried oral iron supplements (pills and liquid) for about 18 months, but my body just wasn't absorbing it and my ferritin was hovering at 4. All the GI tests came back negative, and the doctors finally discovered my taking lamotrigine was causing the poor absorption. I was able to stop that medication and focus on increasing my ferritin levels. In March 2014, I did a series of 4 Venofer tr ... Show Full Comment

11/23/2014 12:29:32 PM

Reviewer: Bleeding out, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
    I only took a test dose (25 mg) at my request. The side effects I got may be because iron competes with magnesium, mangenese, and zinc Docs only concern is with immediate allergic reaction (very rare), not with longer term effects. IV iron bypasses the bodies tightly controlled iron absorption. Here's what happened to me: Headache- started during, not too bothersome, gone that night Dizzy- ... Show Full Comment

8/9/2014 3:22:49 AM

Reviewer: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
    After my treatment I have a slight rash all over my body. I am itching like crazy and I have pain in my lower right abdomen area. I also am super tired and slept for hours after both treatments I have received. I am set up for six weeks of treatments and I am bummed because once I actually get in the room for the treatment it takes between one and a half hours to two hours for the iv.

5/4/2014 3:16:54 AM

Reviewer: VP, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
    Had Venofer (first infusion) at 11:00 AM, tolerated it fine. I actually felt great afterwards. By 4:30 PM, I started having uncontrollable chills and a severe headache. I spiked a temp of 101.6 F and was miserable. It lasted all night despite Tylenol 1 gram. Next day woke up with moderate headache and body aches.

4/27/2014 11:19:41 AM

Reviewer: Female (Patient)

Comment:
    My urine turned dark brown immediately after IV therapy. No information in side effects to substantiate this. This lasted 2 days even with me drinking large amounts of wsater.