Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Mirena intrauterine.

8/28/2008 11:27:22 PM

Reviewer: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I can't believe the side effects many reviewers are trying to pin on this IUD. Many, many Rx drugs cause hair loss, anti-depressants are one of the main ones. Adult acne in women of child-bearing age is extremely common, and is usually worse after childbirth. Weight gain can be attributed to so many other things, especially when caring for small children. I highly doubt all the side effects li ... Show Full Comment

8/28/2008 11:21:33 AM

Reviewer: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

8/27/2008 5:54:29 PM

Reviewer: susan, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have had this in since July 2006. I had extremely heavy period that would last literally months at a time. The only time my period ever gets like that is when I am on birth control. Anyway, I have had bad headaches and never really put it together until i started doing some research on this thing. Turns out that my sinus problems and chronic tiredness could be linked to the IUD. While I was ... Show Full Comment

8/27/2008 12:10:34 PM

Reviewer: worried in michigan!, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I am 30 years old and I had the Mirena putin Aug. 25, 2008. It was extremely painful!! I have been suffering from excrutiating back pain ever since my doctor put this in. I am also scared to death to have sex, I am afraid something bad will happen, after reading the pamphlet that the doctor gave me. I am also scared that my husband will feel the string and not be aroused by sex with me anymore ... Show Full Comment

8/25/2008 4:44:37 PM

Reviewer: Lydia, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I may be on the brink of menopause anyway, but after I got my Mirena, my periods stopped completely which has been nice after many years of heavy bleeding. I have had no other side-effects. I previously had a Paragard for 13 years and was also very happy with it, except for the heavy periods.