Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Niaspan Extended-Release Oral.

3/6/2012 11:53:22 AM

Reviewer: Rebel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
Took a 500 mg dose for 3 weeks. I developed a rash on my face that I did not immediately associate with this medication. This past weekend, I had a "flushing" episode. Flushing is not a strong enough word to use. I thought I was having a stroke. Out of nowhere, I felt like I was burning from the inside out. Severe redness and swelling on my entire upper body. Dry heaves and nausea ... Show Full Comment

12/16/2011 4:50:05 PM

Reviewer: Bob, 55-64 Male on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
After about three months on this medication I experienced severe itching on both forearms when my arms were exposed to sunlight for as little as 15 seconds. All symptoms disappeared about a week after I stopped taking Niaspan. Two weeks later I started up again and the itching immediately returned. I have been off this medication for several months now and my arms are Fine. I have not seen any ... Show Full Comment

8/13/2011 11:02:25 PM

Reviewer: Elaine, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
tonight was my first time taking this medication. After reading the reviews I did not know it is so expensive, I am unable to take statins I get too much pain in my legs Thanks for the appelsauce thing I am gona go get some tomorrow I go for my first appt with a cardiologist in a month so I really hope this works for me I have a huge hx of heart desease in family.

6/1/2011 8:08:58 PM

Reviewer: Jim S., 75 or over Male on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
While I have not experienced severe side effects as some have, I am very disappointed to hear that this very expensive drug is,like Zetia (that I have taken for some time proir) not as effective as claimed. If the cost was five or ten cents a dose it would be one thing but the stuff is $5.00 a dose!

5/20/2011 4:49:35 PM

Reviewer: twinklebarrte, 55-64 Male on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I haqve a terrible skin rash and dry scaley skin on my calfs and shins.