Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Depo-Provera Contraceptive IM.

2/15/2008 8:56:12 PM

Reviewer: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
Experience on this drug was ok overall - no periods from point of first shot forward. Loved not having to remember a pill each day. No issues experienced by others except significant weight gain. I've been on the drug for about 1 year - have gained 15 pounds in that time - Diet & exercise have not changed so the drug is having an effect - I'll need to switch to something else to get it ... Show Full Comment

2/7/2008 9:22:33 AM

Reviewer: MandieInIndy, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I've had a great experience using this shot. No weight gain, no moodiness, no periods. I noticed that when I stopped taking it for a short time, I gained weight and showed some symptoms of hypothyroidism. Has anyone heard of anything concerning how it affects the thyroid? I just recently got the shot again and I hope that it will put help me lose the weight I've put on.

2/3/2008 3:32:53 PM

Reviewer: KOS, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on depo provera for 3 years now. I lost a total of 40 pounds using this birth control method. I also want to state that it has been very easy for me to use and very effective.

1/30/2008 3:01:05 PM

Reviewer: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on Depo for 3 years now and it's been a agreat experience. I started it because I had out of control pain during periods to the point it was interefering with my job and over-all life. I have had no side-effects and my periods stopped as soon as I had the first shot with no spotting or break through bleeding. Reading other reviews it sounds like I'm very lucky. There is a few h ... Show Full Comment

1/28/2008 8:05:02 PM

Comment:
I got my first depo shot a month after the birth of my daughter. Two days later I started bleeding and kept on for two weeks. I gained five pounds in three months. My hair was falling out. My daughter is now seven month old. I have only had one light period since then. Since getting the shot, I have generally not felt too good and wouldn't recommend it to others.

How to keep flares at bay.
spinal compression fracture