Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of famciclovir oral.

7/19/2013 7:15:21 PM

Reviewer: Judes, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I started this early in the outbreak as a precaution. My doctor told me if we wait until it gets worse then we can't use it, or use it with much effectiveness. This medication was very effective in stopping the itching and pain I had from Shingles in the first three days.(It also had started to clear them up)In the afternoon and evening of day three though, I started to become incoherent and i ... Show Full Comment

7/11/2012 9:45:40 PM

Reviewer: cheryl, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
Second time of having shingles. First time, didn't know what I had, so shingles had progressed pretty far. This time. I knew that itching, sharp needle feeling, and down right pain. So I decided to go see my doctor asap. I definitely believe early treatment is the answer. I did notice frequent urination, and my bp seemed to elevate. However, it certainly helped with the spread, blisters ... Show Full Comment

1/24/2012 6:11:57 PM

Reviewer: 25-34 Male on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I had shingles on my neck, head, and ear. Took this and it stopped me from getting any new ones. One side effect. Maybe it was shingles, BUT this medicine made me really tired at 500 mg three times a day. Though at night, wide awake.

1/4/2012 10:15:46 AM

Reviewer: Marie, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
This is the second time I have had the shingles. Have been taking meds for 4 days now. Blisters are clearing up. Only side effect I had was headache.

5/25/2011 3:22:30 PM

Reviewer: dconquest, 45-54 Male on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I am a 48 year old male and I started taking Famciclovir(500 mg. 2x daily) for 7 days after I had an outbreak of shingles on my back and it stated to spread to my face but the medicine stopped the new out break.