Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of Forteo subcutaneous.

11/6/2009 9:56:39 PM

Reviewer: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I will be taking my second dexascan this month for final analysis. The first scan showed inprovment. Am wondering about what to take next, since Forteo' is only recommended for 2 yrs.

11/2/2009 10:40:22 PM

Reviewer: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1 to less than 2 years (Patient)

Comment:
I started taking Forteo in Nov 2007 so my 2 years is up in a few days. My latest scan showed no bone mass improvement; however, haven't lost any more either. Previously had been on Actonel/Fosamax-continued to lose bone mass--have fractures in upper back. Have experiened joint/muscle pain; however, Drs don't believe the pain is due to Forteo? They want me to start taking Reclast--have rea ... Show Full Comment

10/12/2009 5:54:41 AM

Reviewer: lindajoy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I just finished my 2yrs. of taking Forteo. (this is all the FDA has approved it for) The side effects I suffered were minor. They included constipation, minor joint pain-especially in my hip, muscle crampness in the calves of my legs and redness at the injection site. I have truly been blessed. I glad to be off of it. My bone density increased a few points but nothing signiicant as I thought. ... Show Full Comment

9/3/2009 4:23:43 PM

Reviewer: Angel, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Patient)

Comment:
I am a 54 yr old woman who had a hysterectomy at the age of 39 and I am now on Forteo because by BD was-3.7. I am on it 11 mos. For those of you experiencing bone & muscle pain the first 3-5 mos. are the worst. It does get better, my blood work is fine, my calcium levels & vit. D levels are fine - will have another BD test in Oct. and hopefully my levels will raise. It is just unfortunate ... Show Full Comment

7/16/2009 2:06:18 PM

Reviewer: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on Forteo for 4 months, it is easy to use. But, my legs and arms ache, it feels like I have the flu all the time. I will continue to take it because my mother is also on it and it has increased her bone mass. So, hopefully it will do the same for me.