Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of isotretinoin oral.

1/2/2016 10:37:35 PM

Reviewer: Jessica Derringer, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I've been on this medication for about two months, so far I've seen a reduction in acne and the bigger cystic zits are starting to reduce in size. I've got a ways to go in it, but am very pleased so far. Only side effects I've had to far are dry eyes and chapped lips, for anyone stuggling with chapped lips...USE COCONUT OIL. It smoothes them instantly!

12/22/2015 1:35:55 AM

Reviewer: NEP, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
The hardest part about taking Isotretinoin as a female is the rigorous monthly blood draws for a required pregnancy test. My dermatologist decided to try this medicine because my acne was beginning to scar, which was enough to convince me to look past the extreme possible side effects. Once on birth control, I began taking the medicine near the middle of the summer. I stayed out of the sun, used s ... Show Full Comment

11/25/2015 12:38:17 PM

Reviewer: Female on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Patient)

Comment:
I am 18 years old, and I was on isotretinoin for 7 months.(40 mg a day) I've been off it for about 4 months, and my acne has not returned. Obvious side effects that I experienced was the chapped lips, and slight muscle fatigue when I first started. Although the muscle fatigue went away after about a month or two, the chapped lips did not get any better.I was warned of this side effect before I ... Show Full Comment

6/13/2015 5:53:37 AM

Reviewer: isotreninoin, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
i am now into my 8th week of taking isoteninoin and im pleased to say my skin is looking great! the first 3weeks were bad bud slowly my skin started to improve, im taking 40mg per day and the only side effect is dry lips so happy days for me..

12/17/2014 1:38:22 PM

Reviewer: makingfaces, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months to less than 1 year (Patient)

Comment:
I am a 27 y/o woman and have had acne since early high school. I have been taking Isotretinoin since April 2014 (this is month 7). Here's a breakdown of my experience: - I started w/severe cystic acne on the sides of my face from my temples down to my chin - Acne clearing started 1 month into taking Iso, MAJOR clearing took about 2-3 months - Severe dryness on my face and ESPECIALLY my li ... Show Full Comment