Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Read user comments about the side effects, benefits, and effectiveness of atorvastatin oral.

10/12/2015 6:55:22 PM

Reviewer: Joyce with a choice, 75 or over Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
My doctor wanted me to take 10 mg of atorvastatin in stead of the 10 mg of simvistatin that I've been taking for years to lower my cholesterol. I've been taking it now for 3 or 4 weeks. I've been experiencing leg cramps at night, and swollen ankles all day long. Prior to taken this drug, I had notice some ankle swelling at night only. Now my ankles are always swollen. I've al ... Show Full Comment

9/18/2015 5:12:58 PM

Reviewer: ron, 65-74 Male on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient)

Comment:
I took this med for 7 days. day three neck pain day four and five neck and right shoulder day six pain so bad stop taking med no sleep day seven went to er 4;30am done 2ekg took x rays couldn't find a thing. stop med all together, day nine pain gone took tylenol 3 for pain. not good med for me.[atorvastatin or pravastatin]

8/15/2015 9:22:15 AM

Reviewer: Michael, 65-74 Male on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Caregiver)

Comment:
My wife took atorvastatin for two years, and stopped about two months ago due to muscle pain in her knees. Perhaps coincidentally, she had developed an increasing sensitivity to gluten which gave her consistent stomach problems whenever she ate a gluten-containing product. Since she stopped taking the atorvastatin (with no other changes to her medicines or diet), she can now eat gluten. This chang ... Show Full Comment

8/4/2015 10:50:51 AM

Reviewer: Kitty, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1 to 6 months (Patient)

Comment:
I have a little higher than normal cholesterol but have always been told my good cholesterol counter affects the bad. I have been taking atorvastatin for one month and have started to have pain in my left shoulder and now it is beginning in my left hip. Also seem to be having a problem remembering things, etc. I have talked with my doctor and even though he does not think it is the drug I think ... Show Full Comment

7/19/2015 10:00:08 PM

Reviewer: R Dubz, 35-44 Male on Treatment for 2 to less than 5 years (Patient)

Comment:
I have been on an Atorvastatin as well as BP lowering meds for apprx 3 1/2 years now. My Cholesterol went from about 212 down to 122! This drug works! I have experienced minor muscle aches and pains in my legs but the benefits far outway the side effects. Besides, I have my GF run an Epson Salt bath and soak my aching muscles once every couple of weeks and I'm a happy guy..