Epilepsy Drugs to Treat Seizures
- This drug is approved to treat partial-onset seizures in adults with epilepsy.
- VIMPAT can be used alone or with other drugs.
- The drug comes as tablets, an oral solution, or injection.
- Side effects include dizziness, headache, and nausea.
- Treats partial, some generalized seizures and mixed seizures.
- Has few side effects, but rarely people report dizziness, insomnia, or rash.
- It is combined with other epilepsy drugs to treat partial seizures, primary generalized seizures and myoclonic (shock-like jerks of muscle) seizures.
- Side effects include tiredness, weakness, and behavioral changes.
Used to treat partial seizures, it is a once-daily medicine used alone or with other medications to control seizures.
Common side effects include dizziness, sleepiness, headache, vomiting,
, and balance problems.
The drug is approved to treat partial onset seizures and primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures in those age 12 and older.
The label carries a warning of potential serious events including irritability, aggression, anger, anxiety, paranoia, euphoric mood, agitation, and changes in mental status.
- Oldest epilepsy medicine still in use. It is used to treat most forms of seizures and is known for its effectiveness and low cost.
- Side effects can be sleepiness or changes in behavior.
- Controls partial seizures and generalized tonic-clonic seizures; also can be given by vein (intravenously) in the hospital to rapidly control active seizures, although if the drug is being delivered by IV, fosphenytoin (Cerebyx) is usually used.
- Side effects include dizziness, fatigue, slurred speech, acne, rash, gum thickening, and increased hair (hirsutism). Over the long term, the drug can cause bone thinning.
Pregabalin ( Lyrica)
- Used with other epilepsy drugs to treat partial seizures, but is used more often to treat neuropathic pain.
- Side effects include dizziness, sleepiness (somnolence), dry mouth, peripheral edema, blurred vision, weight gain, and difficulty with concentration/attention.
- Used with other epilepsy drugs to treat partial seizures with or without generalized seizures
- Common side effects include dizziness, fatigue, weakness, irritability, anxiety, and confusion.
- Used with other drugs to treat partial or generalized tonic-clonic seizures. It is also used with absence seizures.
- Side effects include sleepiness, dizziness, speech problems, nervousness, memory problems, visions problems, weight loss.