Study: Fruits, Veggies May Help Avoid Cataracts
'Modest' Effect Seen in Long-Term Women's Health Study
The CDC recommends eating five to nine servings per day of fruits and
vegetables. A serving is:
- A medium-sized piece of fruit
- Three-quarters of a cup of 100% fruit or vegetable juice
- Half a cup of cooked or canned vegetables or fruit
- A cup of raw, leafy vegetables
- Half a cup of cooked dry peas or beans
- A quarter cup of dried fruit
Fresh, frozen, canned, and dried produce count. So does 100% fruit or
vegetable juice, says the CDC. Sorry, but deep-fried items (like french fries)
and fatty or sugary sauces probably aren't the best staples in terms of
Remember to wash fresh fruits and vegetables thoroughly in water, says the
The goal of eating more produce may sound good. But how do you make it work
in real life? Here are some suggestions from the CDC.
- Slice a banana or strawberries on top of your breakfast cereal.
- Have a salad at lunch.
- Snack on an apple.
- Add a vegetable to your dinner plate.
- Try fruits and vegetables that you've never had before.
- Blend low-fat yogurt, fruit juice, and fruit (fresh, canned, or frozen) to
make a smoothie.
- When eating out, look for dishes that include fruits or vegetables.
- Mix colors of fruits and vegetables. How about blueberries and red grapes,
or carrots and peppers?
- Keep fruits and veggies visible and within easy reach. Put a big bowl of
fruit on the table, or keep cut, cleaned produce at eye level in the
refrigerator. Out of sight, out of mind.
- Retrain your brain. Start thinking of fruits and vegetables as the original
Got picky kids? The CDC offers these suggestions:
- Make frozen fruit kebobs with pineapple chunks, bananas, grapes, and
- Shop with your kids and let them pick out a new fruit or vegetable to
- Make "trees" of broccoli chunks, "flowers" of carrots and cauliflower, and
a "sun" of yellow squash.
- Top a bowl of cereal with a smiley face of banana eyes, a raisin nose, and
a mouth made from an orange slice.
- Make ice cubes or popsicles of 100% fruit juice.