Detecting Eye Diseases and Conditions
Treatment of AMD
Wet AMD treatment may include:
- Special drug injections (by far the most common treatment)
- Laser surgery
- Photodynamic therapy
Dry AMD treatment is aimed at monitoring or slowing the progression of the disease. Vision loss from advanced dry AMD cannot be prevented. But taking certain dietary supplements may help stabilize the disease in some patients. One large study has shown that taking high doses of the antioxidants vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein, and zeaxanthin, along with zinc, may help slow AMD progression in cases of:
- Intermediate AMD
- High risk of progressing to advanced AMD
- Advanced AMD in just one eye
However, the study showed that this regimen did not prevent AMD onset or slow its progression in early-stage disease.
Steps to Prevent AMD
These preventive steps may help keep AMD at bay:
- Eat more leafy green vegetables and fish.
- Maintain a healthy weight and exercise regularly.
- Don't smoke.
- Check your blood pressure regularly. Get treatment if your blood pressure is too high.
Your Eyes and Cataracts
A cataract is an eye condition in which the eye's normally clear lens becomes cloudy. It eventually occurs in both eyes but may be more noticeable in one eye first. Since less light passes through a cloudy lens, vision blurs. Cataracts are small at first and may not affect vision. But the denser they grow, the more they affect your vision.
Most cataracts are due to aging. Other risk factors include:
- Diseases, like diabetes
- Eye injury or trauma
- Eye surgery for another problem
- Inheritance or pregnancy-related causes (Babies can be born with cataracts or develop them in childhood.)
- Overexposure of eyes to the sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays
- Certain medications
Who's at Risk for Cataracts?
The risk increases with age. Other risk factors for cataracts include:
- Environmental -- such as overexposure to sunlight
- Lifestyle -- including smoking and alcohol use
- People who have certain diseases -- including diabetes
Symptoms of Cataracts
The most common cataract symptoms include: