Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Eye Health Center

Font Size

I Can See Clearly Now the Cataracts Are Gone

WebMD Health News

May 26, 2000 -- If you think that lasers are used to remove cataracts, you're a tad ahead of your time. Contrary to what many people believe, lasers are normally used in cataract surgery only after surgery, and then only if patients have clouding of the tissues that surround the new artificial lens or growth of abnormal tissues that stick to the lens and threaten to harm vision.

But if laser makers have their way, laser-assisted cataract removal could be coming soon to an eye surgery center near you. Two companies are awaiting approval for laser cataract removal systems, and one other company has just started U.S. clinical trials, required by the FDA prior to approval.

Cataracts, which are a clouding and hardening of the natural lens within the eye usually associated with aging, are normally removed either through surgical extraction -- a method that is becoming increasingly rare -- or through a technique called phacoemulsification, or "phaco" for short. Phaco uses ultrasonic vibration to liquefy the lens, which is then removed with a suction tube. A new, artificial lens (called an intraocular lens, or IOL) is put in its place. The phaco technique is the most common type of cataract surgery today.

Because phaco uses a needle that vibrates rapidly, it generates a good deal of heat that could potentially burn the cornea, which is the clear, central-outer portion of the eye, or the sclera, which is the white part. But laser cataract removal "is a cold procedure, incapable of producing this complication," cataract surgeon Jack M. Dodick, MD, tells WebMD.

If approved as expected, laser-assisted cataract extraction technology will allow surgeons to remove softer and less dense cataracts with a greater margin of safety than with phaco, proponents say.

"[Laser systems] can safely and effectively remove about 75% of cataracts that are removed in the United States. The other 25% are just too hard," says Dodick, chairman of ophthalmology at Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital in New York City. Dodick invented, and has a proprietary interest in, a laser-based cataract removal system.

1 | 2 | 3

Today on WebMD

Woman holding tissue to reddened eye
Learn about causes, symptoms, and treatments.
Simple annoyance or the sign of a problem?
red eyes
Symptoms, triggers, and treatments.
blue eye with contact lens
Tips for wearing and caring.
Understanding Stye
human eye
eye exam timing
vision test
is vision correction surgery for you
high tech contacts
eye drop