FDA's MedWatch Safety Alerts: January 2010
Nipro Medical Corp. has recalled all GlucoPro Insulin Syringes with expiration dates before 2011-11 (November 1, 2011). The recall does not include the GlucoPro syringe specific for use with the Amigo Insulin pump.
The risk: These syringes may have needles that detach from the syringe. The needles can become stuck in the insulin vial, push back into the syringe, or remain in the skin after injection.
- Stop using GlucoPro Insulin Syringes and return them to the place of purchase for reimbursement.
- If you have questions, call Nipro Medical Corp. at 305-599-7174, ext. 249.
Recall: HAPPYTOT and HAPPYBABY Pouch Meals
Nurture Inc. has recalled selected varieties and date codes of HAPPYTOT Stage 4 and HAPPYBABY Stage 1 and Stage 2 pouch meals with date codes expiring between October 2010 and January 2011. The meals are packaged in plastic pouches with plastic caps (see photos7).
The recalled products (with UPC codes) are
- HAPPYTOT Green bean, pear & peas, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00127 9
- HAPPYTOT Sweet potato, carrot, apple & cinnamon, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00128 6
- HAPPYTOT Spinach, mango & pear, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00129 3
- HAPPYTOT Butternut squash & apple, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00130 9
- HAPPYTOT Banana, peach, coconut & prunes, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00131 6
- HAPPYTOT Banana, peach & mango, NET WT. 4.22 OZ. (120g), UPC 8 52697 00132 3
- HAPPYBABY Mango, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00134 7
- HAPPYBABY Spinach Mango Pear, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00139 2
- HAPPYBABY Apricot Sweet Potato, NET WT. 3.5 OZ. (99g), UPC 8 52697 00136 1
The risk: A packaging defect could cause contamination with bacteria, possibly leading to illness.
- To find out if a specific product is part of this recall, examine the product packaging for expiration date codes between October 2010 and January 2011. These date codes are printed as the first seven characters of a 15-character string.
- If anyone in your family has become sick after eating these products, call your health care professional immediately and report the illness to FDA's Consumer Complaint Coordinator for your geographic area8 and to the company, Nurture Inc., at 212-374-2779.
- If you see swelling, leaking, or packaging problems in any HAPPYTOT Stage 4 or HAPPYBABY Stage 1 or Stage 2 pouched baby food product, throw it out in a way that will keep children and pets from getting into it. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the packages.
Meridia Risky for People With Heart Disease
The label of the weight-loss drug Meridia (sibutramine) will include new information stating that the drug is not to be used in people with a history of disease involving the heart or blood vessels (cardiovascular disease), including
- coronary artery disease (for example, heart attack or angina)
- stroke or mini-stroke (transient ischemic attack, or TIA)
- slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat (heart arrhythmia)
- congestive heart failure
- plaque build-up in the arteries (peripheral arterial disease)
- uncontrolled high blood pressure (for example, greater than 145/90 mmHg)